Public Art: Not Just Bronze Sculptures


This is a new installation by glass artist David Keens, "Chroma Refraction", it is newly installed in the Northpark YMCA & Community Center in Fort Worth, TX



"Public art enriches the quality of daily visual experience, creating a sense of place and makes a city more attractive to visitors and residents. An investment in the urban environment, public art promotes civic pride by reflecting who we are..."

I wanted to start a blog for several reasons, one being that the longer I work for Fort Worth Public Art the more I learn about this new world. The Public Art realm is growing especially in most major cities. It is a relativley young field with roots. As put by Marc Pally "Public art, broadly defined, encompasses artwork placed in a public context--on the street, in a park, on the exterior of a building and so on."

The longer I work with FWPA the more I realize the need for public art, and so this blog while also a dumping ground for some of my thoughts, is a way to update my friends/aquaintances about public art, specifically on things going on in the D/FW area but also to inform on the importance of these programs within our society. Since Public Art was new to me, I don't want any of you to miss out on the exciting developments within this sector.

It's not all bronze sculptures! Fort Worth has been moving away from cliche cowboy and western themse as well the same old bronze sculpture for several years now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment